“The mind of man plans his way, But the LORD directs his steps.”
As we cross the Queens Landing Bridge … the lake house from the water is right around the bend; a short 2 minute boat ride, but by car we still have, at least, another 10 minute drive. Winding roads that tease my kids the entire way, letting pieces of the lake … the place they long to be … our destination … peek through the trees and neighborhoods.
“Mom it’s right there! Our lake … I can see it! How much longer until we get there? Why is it taking so long?”
As I attempt to find some sort of organizational system and routine for my ever changing life, I find myself seeking the same information from my Heavenly Father.
“Lord, it’s right there! My place of peace and rest … I can see it! How much longer until we get there? Why is it taking so long?”
After I had my girls, I often wondered when would I finally arrive at the place where my “have-to-do-this” list would lay completed and the “in-my-dreams-I’ve-been-wanting-to-do-this” list could take center stage?
Well as any mom of preschoolers knows … the road to this place of solitude … the place where our cares can literally drift away … is only in our dreams – for now.
The normal, predictable schedule … The simple completion of a task … The quick and easy routes … are no more.
Nope! For now we live in a new normal – which is a place where we daily rearrange and reorganize everything and everyone until the “have-to-dos” are completed. And some days there are literally only one or two things that may be completed off that list, because no matter what the task … every task takes a lot longer to complete than it used to.
I have had to learn to go with the flow, and to be happy with the speed and the distance it carried me. Slowly but surely checking off the looming chores on the “have-to-do” list, while making a way for the “want-to-dos”.
- Pray about the items on your “have-to-do” list and “want-to-do” list.Ask Him to help you to organize your list.
- Do they line up with God’s “to-do” list? Are there things on either one of your lists that isn’t on His?
- Then prayerfully ask Him to guide you with His strength through the completion of each task … daily picking 2 things from your “have-to- do” list and 1 thing from your “want-to-do” list. Slowly but surely … tasks will be completed, boxes will be checked, and you can rest daily in your accomplishments through Him.
Father, thank You for providing a helper for me. Your Holy Spirit I can rely on to guide me down the path You’ve chosen specifically for me. Lord in this craziness that is my life right now, help me to stop and enjoy the moments … as unorganized as they are … because soon they will be gone. Forgive me for being selfish. I want to know when I lay my head down at night; I’ve completed all You’ve asked me “to do!” For it’s in Jesus name I pray … Amen!
A Little Something Extra:
- “I have brought you glory on earth by finishing the work you gave me to do.” John 17:4
- “Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.” Phil. 4:6
- “Be still, and know that I am God” Psalm 46:10 Stop … Sit … Silence … Align your heart to His … Prayerfully consider His ways …”
- “This book of the law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do according to all that is written in it; for then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have success.” Joshua 1:8